Thursday 6 March 2014

World book day - the books I love as a child

Hello,

Today is world book day, and many of my friends who work as teachers have been dressing up and my other friends who have children have been dressing up as their kids as their favourite characters... Me I don't have kids or work in a school, so instead I've just been thinking of my favourite books from my childhood. Here's my top 10:

In at number 
10. The twits by Roald Dahl
This story alway had me laughing, it's about a couple that nobody wants to know, hairy, dirty and overall not very nice people. However when a big bird arrives at their house, things start to change for everyone. It's a classic every child should read.

9. The Story of Tracy Beaker by Jacqueline Wilson
A story of a young girl growing up in a care home, it gives you insights on how it's really like for children in care, how they wanting to fit in, but also to find their own family. You get to follow the adventures of Tracy and her hopes for the future.

8. Girls in Love by Jacqueline Wilson
Another book by Jacqueline Wilson, I read all her books when I was younger (10-12 and all that were out at the time) this was all about young girls who were all friends and their hunt for boys and their close friendship... There are more books to this series, which meant I got to enjoy more of these girls. 

7. Jess the Border Collie by Lucy Daniels
I loved this book a growing up as I always wanted a dog and loved (and still love) animals. The story is about a young girl who lives on a farm, her best friend is her dog Jess who is her partner on a series of adventure the two are taken on, from saving a young boy from drowning, and exposing a rival farmers tricks. 

6. The Very Hungery Caterpiller by Eric Carle
Now this book is from when I was very young, but still a great book (some of my friends still love it now and they are in their mid 20s). It tells the tale of a Caterpiller who eats so many different foods. 

5. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
This is a wonderful story of a young girl who moves in with her uncle and his family, she finds a door in a the wall in the main garden that leads to a beautiful garden where she spends so much of her time. 

4. Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter
Now I have a love for rabbits so as a child this book was perfect for me, I had a rabbit later in life called peter. But this is a beautiful tale of a young rabbit and the mischief he gets up to, while trying to steal carrots.

3. The BFG by Roald Dahl
A story with giants who steal children while they sleep, however the BFG is a kind giant who only wants to be friends with young Sophie, and protect her from the other evil giants. 

2. Where's Wally
Now I know there isn't much reading in these books but they were great to read growing up and searching for Wally in all the pictures... Ps I still love these books as an adult, helping my friends kids find Wally in the books, I'm sure I enjoy it more than they do. 

And my favourite book when I was growing up!!

1.Charlie and the chocolate factor by Roald Dahl 
I thought this book was amazing when I first read it, I can't tell you how many times I've read it and enjoyed it, and still now I want to go to a sweet and chocolate factory, see how they make everything plus get to eat some. I love the tale of this book, from how each child has flaws which their parents can't see (which is true in real life) and how Mr Wonker works his magic in wonderful ways. It is the story of the underdog, a young boy with nothing apart from his loving family, who wants nothing but to be with his loving family and is fascinated by this chocolate factory and it's owner. 


I now feel like I should go and pick up some of these child books to read and enjoy again. Hopefully in the future when I have children of my own, I'll be able to share these beautiful books that I have always loved and many more books.

Love Lolly
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment