Thursday 14 June 2012

theatre review - Steel Magnolias

Dear Mothers and Daughters,

On Tuesday night, I put on a nice pretty dress and with my mum headed to Milton Keynes theatre to watch this all women play. Now I know this play has been turned in to a film staring Julia Roberts, however I've never watched the film, but on Sunday it was on channel 5 so I have V+ ready to watch soon. A work colleague had told me to make sure I had some tissues as she was sure I would have a few tears. Without knowing much about the play I read the program wanting to know a little more. The play is written by Robert Harling who after graduating in law moved to New York from the south to pursue a career in the theatre, when his younger sister and best friend, Susan, died in 1985. She was a lifelong diabetic who had risked her life to have a son, and later died from complications as a result. Harling found it difficult coping with the loss of his sister, so after a suggestion by his friends he started writing his feelings and created a short story which was later developed into a full length play. (Parts taken from the Program)

 This is a well know cast as they have been in many TV shows, films and theatre productions. The cast was Kacey Ainsworth, Denise Welch, Charie Lunghi, Sadie Pickering, Isla Blair and Cheryl Campbell.

After reading program, I could see where this play was going and looking forward to it. With nice comfortable sits my mum and I were ready to be entertained. The show is set in Truvy beauty salon, and the set only ever has small changes. You feel apart of the women's conversations as the play begins on the day of Shelby's wedding, with everyone getting ready for the big day. Kacey Ainsworth character, Annelle is new to the area and new to the job in Truvy's (Denise Welch) salon, through the women explaining their lives to this new lady in town, you learn all about each character. You can tell the women are all close, however poke fun at each other with good humour. The actresses were great showing the feeling of each characters and getting the audience involved with their story, you totally fall for these characters and their lives in this small town. Shelby's health is revealed in the salon when she takes a turn, her mother M'Lynn (Isla Blair) explains to Annelle and the audience about her daughter condition and however she should not have children as her life would be a risk, but also how much she loves her.
We then follow the ladies months later when Shelby happily married comes back to visit with news which she feels happy about, however not all the women feel the same. Having a child is just want Shelby wants however it isn't best for her.
The actresses are brilliant at telling this story, which has you laughing and crying all at the same time. I couldn't help but laughing out loud and reaching for a tissue to dry my eyes. Such a beautiful story, and a pleasure to watch. After the show I asked my mum if I could have a kidney which she reply "of course", to which to returned, "I've got a spare, if you ever need it".

If you get chance to catch this show while it tours the UK, check it out, I'm sure its one you will enjoy.

Take care,

Love Lolly
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment